Monday, March 26, 2007

Still Stuck in the 1800's

"My Soul Has Found a Resting Place"

Words written in 1891 by Lidie H. Edmunds, a pseudonym for Eliiza Edmunds Hewitt. The chorus of this hymn says it all.."I need no other argument, I need no other plea, It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me"!! The music is based on a traditional Norwegian melody arranged by William J. Kirkpatrick who also composed the melodies of many of our favorite hymns such as "King of my life, I crown Thee now". He died September 21, 1921 while working on a poem he was planning to set to music. His wife found him slumped over that poem which said: "Just as Thou wilt, Lord, this is my cry, Just as Thou wilt, to live or die, I am Thy servant, Thou knowest best, Just as Thou wilt, Lord, labor or rest".

No comments: