Sunday, March 25, 2007

My all-time favorite Song

"It is well with my Soul"

I may change my mind, but as of today's date this wonderful song written in 1873 still brings tears to my eyes. The first time this song really grabbed me was at the Montrose, PA Bible Conference probably in the summer of 1955. At that conference Al Smith told the story of the composer Horatio G. Spafford and the tragic events that led his composition of the words. The 2nd verse seems so appropiate for this season... "My sin, O the bliss of this glorious tho't. My Sin, not in part but the whole. Is nailed to the Cross and I bear it no more. Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord O my soul". Music by Phillip Bliss and his life is worth researching for those interested.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great hymn. These writers clearly understood the the gravity of their sin in a way that seems lost to modern Evangelical or Fundamentalist Christianity. He correctly sees sin as an immense burden ("bear it no more") that encompasses every dimension of who he is ("not in part but the whole"). Because he fully recognizes the depth of his depravity, he can begin to understand the beauty of the atonement!

James E. Gelatt said...

Thanks for you keen insight into the message of that song and thanks for your input and help in getting this blog underway.